my workspace is a table in our spare room. these chavant figures don’t pile up on each other well —- so i’m running out of space. And I want to go to NIADA next year, so i need to have some finished figures to take a long. So I figured it was time to switch to paperclay and see how it goes.
boy – the chavant really spoils you. Paperclay is so much harder to work in, the first week it was all i could do not to literally take a sledge hammer to the blamed thing.
part of it is that the premier is so soft, I can’t leave it wet, or i squish it out of shape the next time i pick it up. So i lay in an area, dry it in a 170 oven overnight, then carve away and add more on, and dry again. I find it really hard to try to make the figure fluid in it – and the whole process is so very slow. But at the end I have a figure that i can seal and/or paint and take around with me for shows…. or give to friends so at least i don’t have to smash it to make room for more…
at this point i’m starting to be sort of ok with the figure – it was supposed to be a woman with one of those long thin wind-dragonslike in Spirited Away — but she is starting to look more like an old-time carnie painting advertising the snake charmer…..
always wanted to do a really dark, old fashioned carnie series…..
and as usual – photos in the round really show lots that needs to be worked on.