I’m partly really happy to see that she is taking shape ok in the premier, and partly OH SO READY TO MOVE ON!!!
i guess its a moral victory that i’m sticking with her – for me, the fun part is just doing the quick gesture. i have a dreadfully short attention span and really want to move on to the next fun thing instead of staying and refining. But she is coming together anyway. still a lot of work to do, and this is the last week… be interesting to see where she is at the end of it.
this pic shows a bit better what is going on with her right shoulder – i didn’t realize how ambiguous pictures were last week….
you know, i’m not at all sure how correct my naming of projects is going to be…. not that it is terribly important! but that is one of those weird things that throws me for a loop sometimes.
I got horribly frustrated with the snake/dragon lady and ended up smashing her back leg with a hammer and rebuilding it – and feel much better about it now. so after that I started laying in the snake/dragon body which got me sidetracked into reading about snakes. figure this snake is something like 12 feet long (i think she is a tall lady) – so wanted to look at body types etc on snakes that get that big. Wow – definitely not an anaconda/boa constrictor type – they have those wonderful sumptious bodies but would easily weigh 250-300 lbs. heavy for the woman to hold up, unless its a dragon with wings/magic.
so figure it must be a reticulated python type – which would be thinner but still heavy. so am thinking harder about some sort of wing structures so the lady isn’t squished.
as i was working on her I started seeing a dwarf woman standing to one side watching her. so might start that sculpt too.
anyway – posting in the round for the pain factor – keep myself working on her.
my workspace is a table in our spare room. these chavant figures don’t pile up on each other well —- so i’m running out of space. And I want to go to NIADA next year, so i need to have some finished figures to take a long. So I figured it was time to switch to paperclay and see how it goes.
boy – the chavant really spoils you. Paperclay is so much harder to work in, the first week it was all i could do not to literally take a sledge hammer to the blamed thing.
part of it is that the premier is so soft, I can’t leave it wet, or i squish it out of shape the next time i pick it up. So i lay in an area, dry it in a 170 oven overnight, then carve away and add more on, and dry again. I find it really hard to try to make the figure fluid in it – and the whole process is so very slow. But at the end I have a figure that i can seal and/or paint and take around with me for shows…. or give to friends so at least i don’t have to smash it to make room for more…
at this point i’m starting to be sort of ok with the figure – it was supposed to be a woman with one of those long thin wind-dragonslike in Spirited Away — but she is starting to look more like an old-time carnie painting advertising the snake charmer…..
always wanted to do a really dark, old fashioned carnie series…..
and as usual – photos in the round really show lots that needs to be worked on.