so is been about 7 hours of casual kneading – and i almost have the clay mixed and ready to go.
i’d talk about the zen of clay squishing – but the fumes from the polymer are preventing creative thought.
I like the clay though – I baked some (this stuff bakes at 300) to see how it looks, and the color is close, and no moonies – very nice…..
ok, devoting today to my least favorite clay activity. or at least my least favorite clay activity before i started sanding baked sculpts to prepare them for casting in resin. Now I’m not totally sure which is worst – kneading polymer clay or sanding stuff. Why can’t sculpting just be the exhilarating part – where you watch/feel the sculpt take life?
anyway — i’m determined to work on the contortionist again, so I need a lot of clay that will be very strong once it is baked. I’m planning (at this time) on leaving her in polymer – though i like her torso a lot, so i might do a resin version of that. I like the grey firm super sculpy a lot for bjds – but the grey color turns some folk off. so I talked to a bunch of folks, and Forest Rogers suggested working with Kato polyclay — she said that she had started adding some liquid polyclay to her regular – and that the result was incredibly strong. I ended up buying some kato clay and liquid from Prairiecraft last fall and its been sitting in the workroom making me feel all guilty for ignoring it.
So this morning I took it out to the garage and ground up 1/2 package each of white and skintone in the food processor that is reserved for polymer – and added some squirts of the liquid. I decided it was looking lighter than I wanted – so I ground up about 1/6th package of the brown too. It was obviously too much brown —- but we’ll see how it goes.
I need to do the legs, another arm – and then probably resurface all parts of the contortionist. I’ve been working on joints, and will probably want to redo her elbow joints too…
long time ago – i used to haul 50lb bags of grain around a food co-op. now-a-days, i’ve turned into an effete wimp. I can hardly make a dent on this stuff!!! sigh. I think I’m going to grind up the rest of the the white and skin packages – and it will probably take all day to knead this all together.
someone brilliant needs to invent a mechanical kneader that senses the heat build up, and has auto-cool cycles to keep the polymer from overheating. course i wouldn’t be able to afford it…. ah well.
stop whining pat! get to work!
does anyone else have truly brilliant methods for mixing hard polyclays? I wish that Sculpy was stronger – its so nice and easy to knead…
so very, very sad…. I’ve probably gone there at least 2 or 3 times a day for the last several years. Have met some incredible artists and enjoyed talking with loads of people. This forum is what pushed me to learn to make bjds in resin.
So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye…..
with special guest appearance by the Korean company Fairyland’s littlefee ante –
well I seem to have changed my blog’s look and feel. please bear with me while I try to figure out how to get myself out of this particular pickle.
this is not really how I intended to spend this morning!
hmmmph —- this theme doesn’t support blog rolls. and its kind of interesting — it saw that i had a couple of pages defined, but I can’t seem to see where I can define some more. maybe I can turn the available into the blog roll…..
bother…bother…. need more coffee.
ok – working on putting the links back. now what in the world is the name of the image that is the background….. sheesh.
I really like the navigation on the right, though its kind of basic — I wonder if other people struggle with their blogs this way…
nah. probably not.
sigh – oh! found the outer background….. hmph. well this is very simple, like me. but so cheerful! wonder how i can add a few shadows…..
well – its going to stay this way for awhile. I’m supposed to be pouring molds this morning!
The contortionist actually has a 6 part torso (including neck) — but the tinies (10″ figures) I’ve been working on only had a 2 part torso. The other day I got frustrated with its lack of poseability, ambitious (and avoiding going into work as early as I really should have) —– so I cut the bottom part of the torso in two pieces and started grinding the results down, and adding a 3rd piece in the center.
not finished yet, but the result is already a lot better for posing…
this is a stringing together of mostly junk pieces, 2 left legs, junk casts that need to be sanded and modified before casting permanently. there is a newer upper torso having its mold worked on with a slightly larger/longer neck that works better… and a new right leg that works much better.
I need to add some sort of lock for the hips, work on the wrists and ankles, and then sand for a few weeks. sigh. I hate sanding.
– also thinking about modifying the elbow beans …. there should be some way to make those less square…. which then would require modifying the knee beans similarly.
still playing with these little chibi furries (my daughter reminds me they are not chibis in the specific anime style – but i go back to the origin of the word – Japanese for small child or short person. works for me)
I really need to go back to working on the contortionist – but i’ve got another picture in my head that may (as usual) grab my very limited attention…..
but just for fun, hope you enjoy these little guys
Canary looking way too cute…
Bug frolicking. really. he is. and on one leg!
Canary in dance mode :